Thursday, July 2, 2009

Southern Fried Corn & Fresh Homemade Croissant Recipes

 

I made a terrible boo boo when posting for my Foodie Friday addition.. I didn’t list the recipes .. eeek!  So at the request for them I’m adding this new post instead of adding it to my original post. Why not add it to the other … well because dummy me is now using this wonderul Windows Live Writer .. That I really really do LOVE  but I’m not quite sure how to do an edit yet and I wanted to get this done quick as possible.

Here’s the dinner… supper here in the south .. that I made Foodie Friday.

 

100_5157  

As I stated.. All of the veggies are garden fresh.. compliments of my Veggie Dealer and Best Friend Suzanne. Also Please excuse the pictures below.. Jeff & Ashley both took the good cameras.. so I had to use the ole cheapie.

I belong to a food co’op.. I’ll be posting all about that later.. and we tend to get tons of frozen bread loafs. The possibilities are endless as to what can be done with them.

Fresh Baked Croissants:

You can buy frozen loafs just like these below in the freezer section at the grocery store…

  • When making croissants I cover it with plastic wrap that I’ve sprayed using Pam Butter Spray and let my dough thaw in the frig.. to keep it from rising… plus you want it to be cold when you start to make the croissants.
  • Make sure you have a large area prepared up front for rolling out the dough. I usually cover my area with wax paper that I’ve sprayed using Pam Butter Spray.
  • Make sure to work quickly when rolling.. cutting is easier when it’s not gummy.
  • Once you have it all rolled out.. I use a pizza cutter and cut out the triangles.
  • Remove excess pieces and start rolling your croissants …
  • Roll large end forward toward triangle point.. then turn your 2 sides toward the center.
  • Now go ahead and place them on your baking sheet… cover with that same sprayed plastic wrap and let em rise at room temp.
  • Once they’ve risen to your desired size they’re ready to bake.
  • Preheat your oven to 325
  • Bake at 325 for … depending on the size .. I normally bake mine about 12 – 15 minutes. I just kinda eye ball em and when they look ready… they’re ready lol I’m no Paula Dean.

If you end up having more than you want to cook at once.. You can freeze them like I do.

  • Once you have them shaped.. quickly before they start to rise.. put them on a sheet of wax paper and stick them in the freezer for bout 30 to 45 minutes. Once they are a little frozen on the outside you can take them and place them in a freezer bag neatly without them sticking to each other.
  • When you’re ready to bake just pull them out of the freezer.. lay them out on your baking sheet.. cover with a sprayed piece of plastic wrap and let em thaw and rise. Then bake.

 

100_5468

Southern Fried Cream Corn:

I always freeze my fresh corn on the cob in the husk.. I just cut off the tassels and end pieces and stick em in a freezer bag.. So we have fresh corn all year round.

When making Southern Fried Cream Corn .. you start with fresh corn on the cob. You can use either yellow or white.. Me I always use White Silver Queen Corn.. it’s the bestest. Never EVER use can corn.. that jus ain’t southern and plus it’ll be YUCK!

  • 12 Ears of White Corn
  • 3 stripes of bacon
  • Milk
  • Salt
  • Pepper

I always use my well seasoned cast iron skillet or cast iron dutch oven.. but you can use any non stick frying pan.

  • Fry the bacon and then set it aside leaving only the bacon grease in pan.
  • Cut corn from cob… you want to make sure you catch all of the milk from the cob. Start by using a really sharp knife and shave thin layers of the corn away .. don’t cut straight to the cob.. you want to make sure you cut each of the kernels a couple of times before you reach the cob. Once you reach the cob.. take a potato peeler and scrap all that milky juice from the cob into the bowl.
  • Put cut corn into the skillet with the bacon fat.
  • Now you add Milk… How much? Well that’s the tricky part. Depending on how much juice you were able to get from the cobs.. You just have to use your own judgment. With mine I add just enough to reach the top corn level. Stir well and fry until it’s not thin any longer… the starch from the corn with thicken it up as it cooks. On medium heat in cast iron.. bout 10-15 minutes.. Make sure you don’t leave it .. it gets thick quick and the milk will scorch and burn. Now don’t waste that fried bacon.. crumble it up and mix it in as well.

100_5478

Happy 4th Y’all …  Debbie

 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the awesome Croissant rolls. I so needed that and cant wait to make it. I'll let you know how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Debbie. I knew if I asked (pleaded) nicely you would accommodate and give us the recipes! BTW, your edit on the Live Writer post was just fine with the link to this post! Don't you just love working w/writer instead of blogger? I actually used blogger on Mon.( I don't know why- I think it was so the pics would enlarge full page) and my whole post had to be deleted because of html problems -AAAAHHH...
    :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful place setting - and sounds extremely good and southern..
    thanks..

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmmmm. You make me feel so yum.!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just made me really, really, hungry. I tried a Paula Dean corn recipe similar to yours and it turned out gross, but I'm not a very good cook. It sounds sooooo good though. I'm going to have to try again and follow your instructions! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh.....there you go with that corn again!!! Makes me hungry and my "corn cooking skills" leave alot to be desired! Oh well.....maybe I can talk my mom into some creamed corn and tomatoes!

    ReplyDelete

I am always happy to know who's visiting. Thank you all that take the time to leave a comment... I really appreciate every comment and try my best to respond.
Have a Blessed Day!
~Hugs
Debbie

Y'all Come Back Now Ya Hear!!

Y'all Come Back Now Ya Hear!!

Home

Home